Sunday

Eclipse happened here, too!

Last night, My long-suffering husband and I went to see Eclipse at the theater in Varazdin.  It had opened in bigger cities a long time ago but just made it to our theater: it's in this cool old 18th-century building a couple of blocks from our house.  I hadn't been in there before, but I was sooooo excited to go to what I imagined to be a cool old-school movie theater with historic charm!

Plus, the tickets cost only 15 kuna--less than $3--so I was thinking, "we should go to the movies more often!"  In a Croatian theater, you get a reserved seat with your movie ticket, so you can buy your ticket early and waltz into the theater at the last minute without having to worry about getting a bad seat.

Well, we sat on the last row, which, in retrospect, wasn't a good decision.  The theater was full of young teenagers, about half of whom were intoxicated, and the back row smelled of vomit and other bodily fluids that you might expect to find on the back row of a cheap movie theater attended mostly by teenagers. Ewwwwww!!!!  The theater did have some of those cool features I was hoping for: a balcony, a stage, and box seats in the back.  It's a great old building, but the sound system was simply a stack of stereo speakers on the stage, under the screen.  Honestly, I had trouble hearing the dialog.  Yes, yes, all the expected jokes about how Twilight movies don't have any unmissable dialog.  I don't care: that series is one of my guilty pleasures, and I want to eat up every line of teenage-melodrama-fraught dialog!

All in all, it was a fun evening, especially when Edward finally proposed to Bella, the teenage girls in the audience cheered and clapped, and Kristian slapped his hand over his face and groaned.  It really was a heroic sacrifice for him to go to that movie with me! But, as much as I wanted to be charmed by the historic theater, I think that when the fourth movie comes out I'm going to drag Kristian with me to Zagreb to the fancy multiplex.

2 comments:

  1. since chances are good I will not be seeing that movie, I have to ask this question. When he proposed, did he it by saying I choo-choo-choose you

    ReplyDelete