Thursday

The smell of tomato vines is one of the best things ever

One of the big challenges of cooking in Croatia is also one of its biggest virtues: produce is available based on the season. Now, at the end of June, asparagus can't be had for love or money, and strawberries disappeared from the stores about a week and a half ago.  Of course, a few things are imported, but you do have to plan your menus around what produce is in season, which for a n00b cook is challenging.

Obviously, though, that means that what you do find in the store is FRESH, not some waxy item picked in a greenhouse three weeks ago.  I bought grape tomatoes at the supermarket today, and the vines left that peppery, pungent smell on my hands.  When I sliced into the tomatoes a little while ago, I just chomped into one of the slices, and it actually tasted like tomato. I am pretty much a snob about tomatoes--one of my favorite foods--but I can't remember the last time I had a good tomato from a supermarket in the States.  Not even from Earth Fare.  They're usually pale, bland, and mushy.

So I made this Tomato zucchini salad (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Tomato-and-Zucchini-Salad/Detail.aspx), but when Kristian got home from work, he wasn't hungry, so I ate it ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment