Monday

Summertime, and the living is.....Freezing!

I've always hated cold weather, but there's just something about cold weather in Croatia....it seems appropriate.  Today is June 21st, and the high temperature is 57 F.  For the past three or four days, it's been windy, rainy, and in the 50's.  Of course, for about ten days before that it was around 90  without a cloud in the sky.

This isn't a fluke, either: last year when I left Croatia on August 4th, it was raining and I had to wear a fleece jacket.  Last June, when First Baptist's youth group came here, I had planned for us to spend a charming sunny afternoon wandering around Varazdin's town center eating ice cream, shopping, looking at the castle, etc.  I was such a n00b.  It rained, and it was cold.  Instead of having a delightful outing soaking up the Old World surroundings, those poor kids soaked up cold rain water.  We went to McDonald's for consolation.

You would think I'd be miserable in these temperatures, but I don't really mind that much.  Of course, in Texas, it was pretty much hot for nine months.  You didn't really have seasons, and even at Christmastime my fireside laziness ran the risk of being interrupted by 80-degree days.  Here, though, we have four seasons, and even summer has some weeks of relief.  Having one or two weeks a month with cold rain really makes the hot sunshine a pleasure instead of the long, protracted unpleasantness it is in the South.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your conclusions about cold weather--it just makes warm, sunny days a pleasure, instead of something to dread. I love the blog!

    ReplyDelete