Sunday

Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow

I was never much of  TV-lover back home.  I'd have a few shows I'd watch, plus college football, and other than that--and The Weather Channel--I could take it or leave it.  I eventually gave up on LOST because it was too much of a commitment.  Our new house has a 30-year-old TV with 6 channels, and I think of those 6 channels as an unbelievable luxury: I can't wait to watch bad american sitcoms (The Nanny), bad Spanish soap operas (My Sin/Moj Grijeh/ Mi Pecado), and Croatian versions of American reality TV (Hrvatska Trazi Zvijezda: Croatia Seeks a Star, AKA American Idol), all with helpful Croatian subtitles!!

As gleeful as I am about my precious six channels, I'm still grieving my inability to watch the premier of Mad Men, Season 4 tonight and of Season 8 of Project Runway later this week.  I've loved PR for years, but I just started watching Mad Men this summer on the website SurftheChannel , and I absolutely fell in love.  I dislike the main character--if Don Draper really IS the main character--but for me the show is about the female characters: the sexy husband-hunting managing secretary, the depressed housewife, the career girl fighting for  respect and equality in a misogynist 1960's working world.  The show explores all three roles with sympathy and sophistication, and that's what I watch for.  Well, that and the clothes.

Hulu doesn't work overseas, and neither do Lifetime's online episodes.  Both Mad Men and Project Runway will eventually be posted on SurfTheChannel--which, FYI, is 100% legal as far as I can find out and has partnered with the Discovery Channel, so I feel like it would be shut down if it were illegal...it's no secret.  What drives me crazy is that the first episode of Man Men, Season 4 will be playing in Times Square tonight, and I WILL BE MISSING IT!!  I'll have to wait two or three days at least to watch it here.

I can always comfort myself with a book or a video game--my preferred forms of entertainment--or, you know, go for a walk in the beautiful city I live in and visit the castle or cathedral or other marvels of medieval or baroque architecture less than five minutes from my apartment....but Mad Men, readers, MAD MEN!!!!

Well, if you're watching it tonight, think of me and enjoy it extra for my impatient sake  ^_^

3 comments:

  1. My Sin is Mexican, not Spanish. Doesn't even look like Spain. How ignorant can you be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Is "Mexican" the name of the language now? That's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, nice excuse. So, is "American" the name of the language now? I think you meant "English reality tv"

    ReplyDelete