Friday

When reason and cultural conditioning collide...

Kristian and I have been shopping for wedding rings.  We found one yesterday that I really love: it's white gold with three lines etched into it that terminate in different points in a round, clear sparkly stone.  I love it because it has that simple, graphic quality that I love in modernist abstract art.  But in Croatia, those clear sparkly stones you find in jewelers are virtually NEVER diamonds: they're "zircons" (which sounds only slightly better than "cubic zirconia").  But, since all rings are made-to-order, Kristian asked how much it would be for diamonds, and it would be only 50 euro a diamond more.  Feeling flush, Kristian avowed that his woman should have whichever she wants.

But I don't know WHAT I want.  Ethically and economically, the zircons make more sense.  It seems frivolous to spend even 150 euro (that's more than a months' rent) just to have stones that came out of the ground instead of a lab.  (I say that not because I'm trying to pose ad being not materialistic--unfortunately, I am--but because my materialism tends away from jewelry toward clothes and travel).  Moreover, diamonds are frequently mined using slave labor.  In the States, you can get diamonds certified to have been mined by paid laborers, but the methods for obtaining those certifications are notoriously corrupt even there, and here.....well, let's just say the government doesn't even regulate the well-being of the Roma within its own borders, so how much less the well-being of slaves in other countries? A few months ago, Jessie sent me this amusing Onion article satirizing the diamond trade: she sent it to me at the time to make me feel smug about my diamond-free engagement ring, but if I get a wedding ring with diamonds, I sort of deserve it for a different reason.

Ethics and economics aside, sitcoms and movies I've seen since childhood have ingrained the idea into my mind that a wedding ring with zircons instead of diamonds reflects the cheap and artificial nature of the relationship.  Think about it: diamonds are forever....zircons are for scrubs and old ladies watching the Jewelry channel.  Yes, it's silly, but one thing that living overseas teaches you is that, silly or not, cultural prejudices aren't erased easily.  How many readers of this blog spent years paying for a diamond ring that has to be insured? How many men dream of buying expensive, sparkly presents for their wives or girlfriends?  (not that I want to discourage that.....) Why?  Why does love, for so many Americans, need an expensive symbol that wastes money and contributes to the sum total of suffering in the world?

Well....it sounds like I've talked myself out of getting diamonds in my ring.  But I won't be able to talk myself out of feeling slightly embarrassed about TELLING people my ring has cubic zirconia in it.  Oh, well.  One step at a time...

4 comments:

  1. Why, pray tell, should you inform anyone that you are wearing zircons instead of diamonds in your wedding band? Whose business is it to know that you chose one or the other besides yours and Kristian's? And do you really want to keep friends who judge you based upon what kind of rocks you have in your wedding set? Get what you can live with and rejoice in your marriage, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure who you are, but you sound very wise! Really, it's myself that i need to convince.

    It was funny: Kristian was watching an episode of MASH last night when Frank gave Margaret a necklace of fake pearls. I said, "See! American television indoctrinates us to believe that only 'real' jewelry is a good way to show love!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been much of a jewelry-wearer, but it is my theory that I really don't want to worry about losing or damaging a ring that has so much invested in it. Besides, the fake stuff is sparklier, in my opinion.

    Also, if the point of the object is the sentiment behind it, perhaps you can find a way to transfer the sentiment to some other act or object. The ring becomes a piece of jewelery, and that money can be spent on something you both can enjoy or something that you need.

    **Please forgive the double comment. I wanted to correct a typo and I had no idea it would leave a permanent reminder that I posted and then removed a comment. :(

    ReplyDelete