Saturday

The sounds of summer

Kristian worked today, even though it's Saturday, because he has to earn some vacation time for our honeymoon.  Around mid-afternoon, about the time he's supposed to be walking home, I heard this huge racket of car horns.  It sounded like dozens of car alarms were going off all at once.

My first thought was "I wonder what could have caused that traffic jam?" so I rushed to the balcony to look. My second thought was "I hope Kristian didn't get run over or hit by a train!!!!" So I grabbed my cell phone to call him and make sure he's still alive, when I noticed the sound of car horns was getting closer.  Finally I saw one car after another driving by, many of them decorated with Croatian flags and/or flowers.  Every driver was joyfully hammering away at the car horn.  And then I remembered: of course, it's a Saturday in July.  It's a wedding!!

After the wedding ceremony at the church, the guest form a big caravan to drive to the reception hall, honking their horns all the way. It's pretty endearing in the same way noisy children are endearing: the guests express their overflow of high spirits by making a lot of noise.  Fortunately, unlike noisy children, the cars go by before the noise wears out its welcome.

It makes me wonder what people did back in the days of horse and buggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment